Tiny Whale Surf Lodge is one of the leading surf holiday providers in Europe. It offers staff challenging job roles as well as the opportunity to develop their experience working in beautiful surroundings in a friendly and supportive atmosphere.
At Tiny Whale there are two aspects to the businesses, a small surf school delivering lessons to external clients on a daily basis, and our main business as a boutique surf lodge offering week-long surf holidays. Our weekly surf holidays have a strong emphasis on coaching within a proven coaching structure giving guests with a broad understanding of the sport and an investment into their surfing future.
Surf School Manager
We are currently recruiting for the position of surf school manager. This is a unique opportunity and would suit an individual with sound experience in the surf industry and managing others looking for a long term career prospect in the Algarve.
Tiny Whale is one of the leading surf and activity holiday providers in Europe and offers challenging job roles as well as the opportunity to develop experience and skills. As a business we pride ourselves on providing an outstanding experience for all customers, working as a team and building honest, respectful and encouraging relationships.
At Tiny Whale there are two aspects to the surf school businesses, delivering lessons to external clients on a daily basis, and a boutique surf lodge offering week-long surf holidays. Our weekly surf holidays have a strong emphasis on coaching within a proven coaching structure giving guests with a broad understanding of the sport and an investment into their surfing future.
Weekly Surf Lodge Guests
The main task is to coach groups of 4 guests over their weeks holiday. As well as surf lessons, running activities including theory lessons, video & photo analysis, skate surfing, forecasting and practical exercises in the pool.
The team of 4/5 coaches will guide our Group and Private lessons for the general public.
Taking responsibility for the business's success, creating real influence over the day to day workings of the business and setting a clear direction, managing the surf coaches' performance and building a strong team to deliver results.
Directly managing up to 8 people
Assistant surf school manager
Key Personal Qualities Required
- Dynamic drive: making things happen. Able to adapt priorities and motivation in response to changing responsibilities and environments. Show energy and dynamism and maintains drive and resilience in the face of adversity.
- Change focus: keen to adopt new ideas, approaches, experiments, and advocates change. Championing learning and innovation and willing to speak up to challenge the status quo.
- Socially versatile: socially open and confident working with new people and in new situations. Able to show strong empathy and read people's reactions and positions and adapt to accommodate them. Confident with complex stakeholders and intercultural demands.
- Problem-solving: confident working out what to do in new and complex situations. Able to see things from different perspectives and think fluidly with ideas, principles, concepts, and consequences.
Key Technical Skills required
- Surf knowledge.
- Performance Management.
- People Leadership.
- Relationship Management.
- Planning and prioritization skills.
- Delivering excellent service.
- Getting things done through others.
- Providing organizational leadership.
- Developing self and others.
- Managing Stakeholder relationships.
- Local clients.
- Accommodation providers.
- Local community.
- Key industry contacts.
Interested? Send your cover letter and CV before the 21st of February to Susan at firstname.lastname@example.org
We are looking for a highly professional and motivated Chef to work in our boutique surf lodge in the Algarve. If you are experienced, forward-thinking and passionate about cooking a fantastic meal, we are looking for you. The ideal candidate for this position will understand our type of client or is a surfer as well, and who always has a finger on the pulse of current culinary trends. If you enjoy working in a small team with a solid work ethic and can be a valuable member of a small team then get in touch!
The success of our guests' experience at our Boutique lodge is largely dependent on our Chef and the food we serve on a day to day basis. As our Chef, you offer your cooking services at our Lodge for 16 persons in a 'home setting' depending on our guests' taste, dietary restrictions and needs. With your culinary expertise, the head chef is able to create new recipes, prepare all types of food using different cooking styles and handle food presentations, and is responsible for the menu selection, the efficiency of kitchen service, and the dining experience. You will mostly work alone, with one or two hosts to assist you.
- Direct kitchen operations, including food preparation, cooking, and cleanup.
- Maintain control of the kitchen to ensure that all tasks are carried out efficiently and effectively.
- Make sure that all staff adheres to food safety and hygiene regulations to ensure a clean and sanitary kitchen.
- Plan menus within the vision of the lodge (promoting a healthy but flavorful lifestyle), making adjustments as needed based on the availability of ingredients and dietary restrictions.
- Inspect raw and cooked food items to guarantee that the highest quality products are prepared and served to our guests.
- Serve, explain and interact and te the guests.
- Collaborate with the general manager and owner to align kitchen operations with the overarching goals of the lodge.
- Order and maintain inventory of food and supplies.
- Maintain vendor relationships.
- Train hosts to cook, and kitchen staff.
- Maintain kitchen equipment; schedule repairs and additional maintenance as needed.
- Store all food according to the HACCP method.
- Clean workstation after every shift, and deep clean kitchen every week.
- Responsible for standardized recipes.
- Being in control of food waste
EDUCATION & TRAINING
- Experience as a (head) chef.
- Affinity with surfing.
- Up-to-date with culinary trends and optimized kitchen processes.
- Credentials in health and safety training.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to oversee and manage kitchen operations.
- Ability to remain productive when pulled in many different directions.
- Driving license.
- Highly proficient in spoken and written English.
- Experience working in a fast-paced professional environment.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS & PERSONALITY
- Highly sociable, Organised, Resilient, Reliable, Positive.
- Able to work effectively as part of a team: Will help out and do other duties if required, not afraid to get their hands dirty and will go the extra mile.
- Is self-motivated works at pace and enjoys delivering results.
- A passion for cooking.
- Problem Solving: Can assess operational issues and take the best course of action to get them resolved.
- Loves to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be upbeat, outgoing and positive.
- Have some basic surf knowledge.
- Show initiative at all times and be flexible.
DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- Degree in Culinary Arts or related certificate.
- 3+ years of experience as a head chef in a Chalet or Hotel restaurant.
- Worked or lived abroad.
- Additional language(s)
DATE OF EMPLOYMENT
available from 1st of March 2020 for the full season until November
Interested? Send your cover letter and CV before the 21st of February to Tariq and Susan at email@example.com